Saturday, December 3, 2011

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!

Yes, I said it, The Most Wonderful Time of the Year!!! It sound's cliche, but I truly believe this is the best time of any year, the air is crisp and cool, the holiday music is playing so joyfully over the speakers in every store, at each gas station, in my house, and in my car. Decorations are put up nearly everywhere you look, trees that line the streets have lights twinkling on them, gingerbread houses and snowmen are festive icons next to Jesus and Santa Clause. Holiday Movies are on television, people seem to be so much nicer and happier as they rush around town looking for the special some one's perfect gift. I do believe this is the best time of the year, no other holiday can compare... Easter comes close, but I still have to say, Christmastime is the best!
Is it really the sights, sounds, tastes, smells and feeling of the Winter Holiday or is it the Celebration of our Saviors Birth?  Or is it a combination of the two? I do believe any baby, including our Savior Jesus, is something worth celebrating. Children are blessings, gifts from Heaven so each year a huge baby shower for Jesus is perfect, it helps us to remember that we are all children of God! I also believe this time of the year is most magical because there is not just Christmas that is celebrated, but there is Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa, St. Nicholas Day, Bodhi Day, then New Years! It is a time of laughter, there are memories to be made, moments of reflection, gift giving, and just celebration!
One month of parties, social gatherings, church plays, carolers, Christmas lights, cookies, pies, honey baked ham, cards, heartfelt television specials, photographs, friends, family, one month is never long enough. On top of all this, Christmas is also about mythological characters, some of my favorites are Frosty, and Rudolph, Abominable Snowman, Winter Warlock, Jack Frost, Island of Misfit Toys, Ebenezer Scrooge, and who can forget my favorite The Grinch. I love all of these characters, Most people would just love the already lovable Frosty and Rudolph, but the rest seem to be villains or lost characters that don't like the season for whatever their reasoning, but I love them because they find their own meaning and like the Grinch his heart grew three sizes that day, he realized that Christmas is more than the toys, the dressings, and the cosmetic parts of the holiday, it was more. I know each year when I pull out my tree, dress up my house, and slowly fill gifts under my tree I know that Christmas is more than that, it is a feeling, a memory, a knowing that this is the best time of the year and to love everyone, there is a Tiny Tim in each of us holding on to the Magic you find in the season and trying to spread it as far as it will go!
I wish everyone a Wonderful Holiday Season, whatever you celebrate, just celebrate!

No comments: