Monday, April 11, 2011
Stop and Smell the Roses
After seven years without a phone, you think I would be jazzed to have one. At first I was, I was so excited to pass out a telephone number where anyone was able to reach me any time of the day. I was text happy and I was able to sit on the internet even in rush hour traffic just to check up on my Facebook notifications. It has been just shy of a year with my phone and it seems to be quiet. All if my friends have jobs and are super busy. Sure I am busy too... but I really miss coming home and checking the answering machine to hear all of the voices of friends and family that needed something or just missed me. I jump on the computer and there is nothing new on Facebook or my hotmail. Yes it is nice to have a phone whenever I get a flat tire, or am running late somewhere, or if I get lost. I know I am connected. But I just miss the days when technology wasn't at everybody's fingertips. I remember my first cell phone in High School, it was something you were able to dial a telephone number and you were able to text, the screen was green and black. I think the fanciest thing that you were able to do was play 'snake'. or how many remember the pager, lol now that was something-- and you had to wait to get to a telephone to call or respond. I think people were more focused with less technology in their power. Sure connecting and networking is important, but I bet you 10 years ago it was more personal, and people took the time to pick up a land-line to say 'how do you do'. I think its time for people to make time to stop and smell the roses, myself included. Turn off your cell phone for a day(its okay to use it in an emergency). Pick up the house phone and make a call to your grandparents, your parents, your siblings, your friends. Life flies by too fast to miss it, because you were too busy with work or school. put down your phone, pick up a good book, visit a library, don't be so rushed to sit in the drive-thru line, sit down in the restaurant, see a play, visit the zoo or museums, travel, sight see, have a picnic, make time for you as well as others, stop and smell the roses. You will benefit greatly!!!! ♥
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What a lovely thought about stopping for a moment and smelling the roses...I feel that we are becoming addicted to technologies clever gadgets. A recent article in the San Francisco Chronicle noted that people 16 to 30 something spent an average of 6+ hours per day texting, blogging,facebooking, and cell phoning. I'm an old dude and can't comprehend this addiction. Of course, technology is wonderful for the improvements it makes in our lives but the social networking, if you can call it that, has gone way beyond rational bounds. No body has 50, 100, 300,or 500 friends. Real friends take personal contacts, and intimate, direct conversations. If you have 1 to 3 or 4 real friends, consider yourself fortunate. So much of the technology we have today was designed for optimum business communications and cost reduction. I agree with you Jen, in that we all need to slow down and enjoy lifes simplicities. It's amazing what busy people miss dashing from one assignment to the next task. In my generation it was called, "get a life".
Love you, Grandpa Tom
P.S. what is your email address?
Post a Comment