I have seen many funerals in movies and television shows, but until today I have never attended a funeral. I always pictured a full church with every attendant wearing their Sunday Best dressed in black from head to toe and pouring rain outside. Yes, I know very cliche, much like the movies.
This morning I woke up, and put on my Sunday Best, dressing respectful for a funeral, a black blouse, black slacks and instead of black heels, I picked bright green.
You see, the funeral I attended was for my best friends mom, Cyndee, she passed away last weekend due to Lung Cancer. At a bright and energetic age of 60 she was diagnosed just after Christmas last year. She was too young to die. She was an amazing woman who taught me so much!Cyndee LOVED Disneyland... yes, she loved it more than myself. You could never tell her "no" she would just thought you didn't "know" the right answer to what she asked, her world was bright and there was never any rules. Cyndee was amazing! When ever I had a complaint or just a day when I needed to vent, and I spoke with her she would listen intently and smile and let me know it will all work out.
The service was nothing like the movies, surprise, surprise. Everyone moved slowly into the church, and you were able to sense sadness, but as for crocodile tears, there didn't seem to be any. I looked at my friend, Tricia, and her sister, Megan, the girls seemed to be doing pretty good. They were each able to give a speech about their mother, and they each made it most of the way through their notes without falling apart completely. Their father said some touching words, and so did their uncle. Some beautiful music was sung and then they played one of my favorite lullaby's, "Five Pennies" I was happy they played the Danny Kaye version instead of having someone sing it. I lost it when the girls spoke, and I lost it with the music and readings they picked, needless to say my eyes were hardly dry during the service, I am glad I chose not to wear makeup today.
So, you might be wondering why the green shoes? Cyndee loved bright colors, she always had her nails done and each time she would get them painted they would be another color of the rainbow. Since, I didn't have time this last week for a pedicure or manicure, I wore bright green heels. I know Cyndee would have love that. Megan wore orange heels with her black dress, and Tricia had her nails painted for the occasion. Many other guests wore a splash of color with their traditional black Sunday Best. One guest even had "Minnie Mouse" fingertips, she had her nails painted red with white polka-dots, like Minnie Mouse' Dress, Cyndee would have loved that.
One of the last times I was able to talk and laugh with Cyndee was at Megan's Birthday Party, she was so beautiful in her flowy-top, you would have never guessed just a few months later she would be diagnosed with a horrible disease and then within four months pass away, we sat at the table in the Lazy Dog Restaurant and discussed favorite shows, shows she watched but I hadn't heard of and the latest and greatest in the shows we both loved to watch. She also gave me a bear hug, she loved to pass out bear hugs, and she asked me to bring my children over- Cyndee loved to spoil my children, every one's children really, they always got their way when Cyndee was around. I told her I would. But due to the daily chaos with scouts, school and soccer, I never visited. I horribly regret that. I miss her. I was able to chat with her for the holidays, but I never got to give her a bear hug good-bye.
Cyndee was a fantastic woman. She made everyone smile, she lit a room with her personality.
I was so happy to hear that her last day alive was a day filled with close family at, where else but the Happiest Place on Earth. They visited with all of the characters, she rode her list of favorite rides, including her most favorite- Peter Pan' Flight. She enjoyed a wonderfully perfect day, then went home and passed away peacefully in her sleep.
I know she is watching down on us, waiving her hand and saying, "its going to be just fine". I also know that was why it wasn't raining today, she wasn't crying in heaven, she was happy. She was happy we all chose to wear a splash of color. She made sure the sun shone bright today.
I love you Cyndee, I will miss you dearly.
No comments:
Post a Comment