Friday, December 14, 2012

My Heart is Broken for the Families In Newtown, Connecticut

Everyday I make sure to hug and kiss my babies as much as possible. Today I hugged and kissed them as my face flooded with tears. My heart broke for all of those families who lost their babies and loved ones this morning in the Connecticut Elementary School Shooting this morning.
As I held my children we recited the Lords Prayer:

Our Father, which art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy will be done in earth,
As it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive them that trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
The power, and the glory,
For ever and ever.
Amen.

How can someone splash terror and horror over those families and all of those children??? How can someone just take innocent lives, how can someone look at a young child and knowingly take their life?? Not only did parents lose their babies; a future of smiles, laughter, birthdays, graduations, weddings and the unknown; but small innocent children who did survive witnessed pure evil, these are images no child should ever have to see. 

There are just 10 days until Christmas, this should be the season of giving, the season of hope, dreams and love. The sounds of beautiful Christmas songs should be filling the air, I couldn't think of any, for five minutes we were all quiet, then "I heard the Bells on Christmas Day" filled out little huddle:

I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day
Their old familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet the words repeat
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

I thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along the unbroken song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

And in despair I bowed my head:
"There is no peace on earth," I said,
"For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth he sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
With peace on earth, good will to men."

Till, ringing singing, on its way,
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime,
Of peace on earth, good will to men!

As I hugged my children, and their puzzled faces at my display of affection, their innocent questioning as to why I was in hysterics, and their patience with me as I loved and sang to them. I couldn't imagine any of them being gone forever. In the back of my mind, a flashback to when my brother passed away, a memory I can never erase, I remember my father coming home from work, his face red and wet from tears and him dropping to his knees to hug and kiss us. I've only seen my dad cry a few times in my life, and never like that. I don't know what its like to loose my own baby, but to lose a new, young life just hurts my mind and body and especially my heart.

This horrible event shouldn't have happened. Not now, not ever. Virginia Tech, and Columbine shouldn't have occurred either. I wish our children were growing up in a world where sadness, tragedy and horror did not exist, I wish they would all grow up with the feeling of peace and the would would be a safe place all of the time. This Christmas song describes the sound of the sweet bells chiming over all of the hopelessness and despair that exists. And although there is sadness and horror in the world, the bells of Christmas are joyous and Gods presence is true. There will be peace here on Earth and good will toward mankind.





No comments: